Thursday, December 01, 2005

Fear Agent #2 Makes Fear Agent #1 Look Like a Piece of Shit

And I liked Fear Agent #1.

See?

But for everything that I liked about Fear Agent #1, Fear Agent #2 had just a lot more goodness. I will now elaborate...

First off, in both stories, Tony Moore and Sean Parsons kicked a lot of ass on the art. That continued in this issue, but I think there was more scenes in developed areas (while last issue was mostly in a cave), so Moore got to be a show off and draw such neat little details into all of the scenes.

Secondly, probably one of THE biggest problems with #1 was the fact that it was all told in voiceover. I liked the voiceover, but let's be honest, voiceover is NOT the coolest way to tell a story. In addition, with a character as rogueish as Heath Huston, you do not want him just interacting with himself.

In this issue, writer Rick Remender gave him a talking ship (by the way, why are there so many talking ships in Sci-Fi? How did THAT become a standard?) to talk with, a government connection, and also, a female scientist!! The female scientist was the best. It was like the banter between Indiana Jones and What's-Her-Face from Temple of Doom, only good.

Meanwhile, there was a subplot in #1 about these aliens eating this trucker. So I'm expecting this to be addressed, like, in 4 issues or something. Nope, we get to it THIS issue!

How cool is THAT?

So in this one issue, we get to see Heath on another extermination job, we get to see how he lives, we get to see his banter with the ship, we get to see him interact with some government guy, we get to see him interact with some scientist lady, AND we get to see some proud, intergalactic horrible conspiracy!

All with a kickass cliffhanger ending that promises that next issue will have all sorts of cool action in it.

At one point, Heath blows a hole in a spacestation so he and the scientist lady can get to safety. That's right, he blows a hole in a spacestation to get them to SAFETY!!

How cool is that?!

That is basically a rhetorical question, but I will answer it anywas - it is really cool!!

Man, don't you feel bad for Cory Walker?

In four issues, he's going to have to live up to THIS!

Harsh.

Read More

7 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

Cory Walker will be able to match Tony Moore in terms of quality. I'm just glad he's doing more stuff.

Have to agree with you on the first person naration doesn't add much to the comic. It's kind of annoying to be honest.

12/01/2005 12:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, there was a printing error, and all the copies of 2 are supposed to be pulped. The new ones are supposed to be out in about two weeks. Moral of the Story: I shouldn't be waiting for Thursday to pick up my new comics.

12/01/2005 03:33:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

What was the printing error?

The covers were really flimsy. Was that it?

12/01/2005 03:58:00 PM  
Blogger Mark Fossen said...

The covers were really flimsy. Was that it?
Yep. It appears that many (most) were damaged because of the cheap coverstock. I liked it, myself and my book was in great shape.

12/01/2005 06:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and here i thought my local comic shop screwed up again and didn't order enough... whew!

12/02/2005 08:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Fear Agent #1, then I picked up #2 and thought, "Who drank the Magic Dialogue Juice?"

Issue #2 made #1 look like the opening of a Bond film: all the stunts, all the thrills, all the big sets ... but you know the real story starts in the next act.

If #3 is anything at all like #2, I'm in for the long haul.

12/04/2005 08:48:00 AM  
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

I am so cynical!!

When I heard "Magic Dialogue Juice," I figured you were being sarcastic, Jason!

And your Bond comments were spot on!

I should do a Comics Should Be Good Comments Should Be Good!! :)

12/04/2005 11:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home